A Passage to consider:
Romans 1:20, For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – His eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse… (25) They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator – who is forever praised. Amen.
Well today is the day…the ancient Mayans predicted that the world would end, but when we come to Mayan beliefs we can’t forget the other things they taught and believed. The Mayans believed that the sun was powered by the blood of human sacrifices. They also taught that the configuration of the stars had meaning for every human life…kind of like the Mayan version of the Psychic Friends Network (how did that turn out?)
Clearly, the Mayans did not know the Creator, God Himself. Instead they did just exactly what the Apostle Paul wrote about and “served created things rather than the Creator.” Furthermore, for all their ancient wisdom they missed “God’s invisible qualities” that could have been clearly understood in the thorough observation of the order of the universe. They saw the order, they charted it, they detailed it, but like too many of us they ignored the Designer.
Today, December 21, 2012, the Mayan calendar ends. This is what has been described by many as the Mayan “Long Count” calendar. Over the years the end of the calendar has been met with varied explanations. Some see the end of the calendar as nothing more than a “Control-Alt-Delete” and you just restart and go on. While others saw it as the day that everything in the universe would simply implode or explode, others saw it as the day the world would be wiped out by some “natural or man-made” disaster.
Over the years, there have been many end of the world predictions (even many supposedly Christians & Cult leaders) and truth be told, there will be many more. So how should Christians respond to this prediction and any future predictions of the end of the world?
1) Don’t ever forget who put the universe together: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”(Genesis 1:1)
2) No one really knows when the world will end: “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. (Mark 13:32)
3) When the World does end it will be a good thing for those who are Christians: “Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and He will live with them. They will be His people, and God Himself will be with them and be their God. 4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” 5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then He said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” 6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End.”(Revelation 21)
4) There is One Way to heaven: Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”(John 14:6)
5) There is One God/Man who paved the way to heaven: “5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—even death on a cross! 9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” (Philippians 2:5-11)
6) There is one offer to everyone: “8 But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: 9 That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11 As the Scripture says, “Anyone who trusts in Him will never be put to shame.” 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on Him, 13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”(Romans 10:8-13)
What about today? There is nothing in the Bible about the world ending on December 21, 2012. Look through the pages and Scripture and you can’t find one reference to any galactic occurrence the Mayans saw or thought they saw that signaled the end of the world.
When will the world end? I don’t know…and I don’t make doomsday predictions, but I will predict this. If we as God’s children will be salt and light in our communities many more of our friends and neighbors will come to worship the Creator and not the created.
Don’t ever forget these words of Christ: “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. 14 “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”(Matthew 5:13-16)
Now let’s go be the light and have a Blessed Day!
John Mark Caton